Tuesday, September 24, 2024

TOBY AND CLINT ON LIFE

Toby and Clint

I made an interesting connection this morning with myself at almost 82, Toby Keith, the country singer who recently died of stomach cancer at 62 and Clint Eastwood at 93, the Dirty Harry police officer and western movie actor.  What triggered my interest were these thoughts from Max Ehrmann which I stumbled across on social media:

Take kindly the counsel of the years,

Gracefully surrendering the things of youth.

Nurture strength of spirit to shield you in sudden misfortune.

But do not distress yourself with dark imaginings.

Beyond a wholesome discipline,

Be gentle with yourself.

You are a child of the universe,

No less than the trees and the stars;

And whether or not it is clear to you,

No doubt the universe is unfolding as it should.

It seems Toby Keith found inspiration from a casual conversation with Clint Eastwood years ago on the golf course in California.  Keith asked the then 88-year-old actor “What keeps you going?” and he replied “I get up every day and don’t let the old man in”.  So, Keith wrote the hit song by the same name and Clint put it in his movie, The Mule.  Toby also recorded the hit country song As Good As I Once Was which included the lyrics:

I ain't as good as I once was,
I got a few years on me now.
But there was a time back in my prime,
When I could really lay it down.

I ain't as good as I once was,
But I'm as good once as I ever was.

And the internet is full of infamous quotes from Clint’s movies including a couple from the Dirty Harry collection that includes “A man’s got to know his limitations” and “Go ahead and make my day!”  I say all this because the one thing in life I have in common with these entertainers is the reflection of many moons and the game of golf.  I’ve recently faced my mortality and years on the planet, swallowed my man pride and moved up one tee box to make my day, i.e., knowing my limitations.  And I generally only play once a week to satisfy my aching joints and muscles, i.e., but I’m still as good once as I ever was and I don’t let the old man in!   

Yeah, old age ain’t for sissies, but it’s a gift that’s denied to many.  So, “get up and go outside”!  Celebrate all the full moons that you’ve experienced on a late, chilly, fall night as calling wild geese fly overhead.  And “toast each sundown with wine.  Don’t let the old man in.”

https://youtu.be/yc5AWImplfE?si=ivzsSvUni0UJ8E26

No comments:

Post a Comment