Saturday, May 22, 2021

YOU MISSED MY WRY SMILE

Hocus Pocus Face Mask
 

FACIAL COMMUNICATION

This COVID pandemic has created many changes in our world culture, not the least of which is the loss of facial communication when many of us use social media on-line at home and face masks when we venture out.  The human face is very expressive and conveys emotions without us uttering a word.  Research has shown that as we interact, just 7% of meaning is conveyed by words, 38% is the way the words are spoken and a surprising 55% is revealed in our facial expressions!  And our human facial expressions cross all cultures.

It’s been said that the eyes are the window to the soul.  A person’s eyes can reveal wide-open surprise or squinting anger along with our eyebrows.  A fake smile only creates wrinkles at the corner of the mouth.  A genuine smile also creates wrinkles at the corner of the eye.  A genuine smile is one of the key indicators of physical attraction.  So, beware of a romantic attraction during this masking phase of our lives!  And if any of the following three reactions is missing, a person is only simulating emotion; the eyes are wet, the nose gets moist and saliva is swallowed.  If the facial expression does not look symmetrical, the person is not being truthful.     

All of these indicators plus many more are lost in social communication and when the other person is wearing a variety of face coverings which is not the norm, except during this pandemic.  I confess to probably using satire in my conversations all too often which will sometimes confuse someone face-to-face if they take me too seriously or don’t know me very well.  I’m pretty sure that I usually have an asymmetrical wry smile on my face if I’m using satire to make a point.  And that is totally lost during social media interactions or when I’m masked up.  I wonder how long it will take all of us to return to normal interactions when all of these restrictions on us are finally rescinded—after we repair the collateral damage done to many of our relationships?

I can confirm that miscommunication based on my personal experience when I’m checking out of a grocery line.  Some grocers still require mask wearing inside if you want to shop there.  Many times, a checker has apparently been trained to ask “Did you find everything you were looking for today?”  My response is generally “most of the stuff I’m buying today wasn’t even on my radar when I entered the store.”  Or if my foraging goal for the day was a six pack, cheese, crackers and summer sausage, my go-to response is “Just buying the basics today!”

No comments:

Post a Comment