Wednesday, May 5, 2021

SUNRISE SILHOUETTE

Sunrise Silhouette, Kiawah, SC

A first light sunrise walk along a deserted sandy beach will cure even the melancholy spirit as the foaming waves break ceaselessly over your bare feet.

Any time is a good time to walk the beach and letting the cool ocean breezes at sunrise invigorate your early morning walk seems to be ideal.  Morning’s first light arrives well before the big combustible globe makes its daily entrance on the eastern horizon. Then as the shining orb nears the horizon, the eastern sky begins to glow with pastels of gold and citron and crimson. If there are low level scattered clouds of vapor droplets on the horizon, they will serve to magnify and reflect and refract the new day’s sunbeams across the sky.

Small Morning Glory blooms open their petals on the surrounding sand dunes. Scattered shells that have been deposited by the receding tides are left as one-of-a-kind treasures for the early morning risers. The empty shell of a large sea crab lies motionless near the water’s edge. Sea birds launch into their daily migrations along the shoreline.  Only after the support players have adequately prepared us for the main attraction will the star of the show begin to rise into our view and within minutes the grand entrance is complete.  My wife Karen and I loved to walk along the beach at sunrise, sometimes together and sometimes apart, depending on who was in the mood for shelling.  

I had briefly stopped and was photographing shore birds scurrying along the receding waves when I noticed a dark silhouette walking toward the rising sun.   Without even giving it much thought at the time, I turned my camera to the east and waited to shoot until the figure walked into the rising sun.  Once I got the image I wanted, I turned back to the shore birds, my lone companions this day. 

That photo accompanying this post turned up in my Facebook memories today.  I took it a few years ago, almost ten years after breast cancer took Karen’s life.  That’s when it caught my attention, as it finally occurred to me that we were the only two on the beach early that morning.  I only saw the dark female silhouette walking away and she left no footprints…


 

No comments:

Post a Comment