Saturday, June 13, 2015

WALKING THE STREETS




West Bank Market, Palestine
Via Dolorosa, Jerusalem
Street Hawkers, Kidron Valley


I’ve returned from many business trips around the country where people would ask me how I liked the city I had just visited. And many times I would have to simply reply that I had frankly only experienced an airport terminal, a taxi, a hotel and a business office. With the exception of extended business trips abroad and in the United States, I really never had time to get acquainted with a city or an area unless I had the time to walk the streets, browse the shops and talk to the locals. Travelling on personal time to a city of your choice is the best way to become familiar with a location and its people.

Many folks asked me upon our return from Israel if I had felt safe in this unsettled country. My reply was that the ubiquitous presence of security wherever we traveled gave me much more of a sense of safety than other countries where I ventured such as Mexico and Honduras. And as with travel anywhere, it’s always a good idea to be constantly aware of your surroundings and not venture into unsafe territory. The uncertainty of life keeps it interesting and adventurous.

No comments:

Post a Comment