Saturday, July 27, 2024

A HAWK’S VISION


HAWK SOARING & SITING, Jamestown, NC

I recently noticed this red shoulder hawk perched on a nearby branch by my driveway.  The hawk sat motionless as I drew closer with my trusty iPhone at the ready to quickly capture an image before he bolted.  In all my years outside in nature, that’s the closest I’ve ever come to a vigilant hawk.

The eastern North Carolina Cherokee believe that when creatures cross your path, they’re bringing a message to share.  Circling hawks soaring on rising thermals are known for their keen eyesight and they are considered to be messengers of vision and clarity.  Folks are cautioned to consider that whatever you’re thinking about at the time may resolve itself and manifest in your life.  You will have the clear vision and wisdom to act accordingly.  It’s a reminder that we are not alone and spiritual guidance is always available to us.

Mankind has observed the traits of hawks for millennia and those have been incorporated into religions such as in Buddhism; the hawks represent union with the great spirit.  In Hinduism, hawks are associated with rejuvenation and hawks represent wisdom in Christianity.  The hawk was the symbol of the ancient Egyptian god Horus.

The sky is the hawk’s realm and a circling hawk grabs our attention to consider a message on its wings or in the wings for action when the time is right.  I’ve recently pondered the message that I now have more years behind me than in front of me.  That’s prompted me to savor each of those future moments even more acutely now that I have the time away from demands that consumed my working hours.  Time in retirement can be consumed just as quickly, but I’ve learned to see that and commit more time to being thankful and purposeful with the days left and act accordingly.



 

3 comments:

  1. Ironically, as we drove over the the edge of the golf course fairway to an errant golf ball yesterday, I picked up a large hawk feather laying next it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Larry I read your story often, maybe each week. I am reminded of so many things of the past, early family with Mon and dad and some in my own family with Carol and kids. I wonder what the feather was saying to you as played golf. One never knows. I will be 90 next time around in May , I am so blessed God has given me the years to look back and pass on to my family the good things of like. You take care, As stated before I really enjoy your writings .
    Your friend
    Bill

    ReplyDelete
  3. You have lots of memories to smile about. I think the feather was reminding me to forget the double bogey on the previous hole and keep the birdie in mind which I shot on that hole.

    ReplyDelete