Saturday, June 1, 2024

GLIMPSE OF HEAVEN



White Phantom Horses, Jamestown, NC

I woke up this morning a bit stiff after playing 18 holes of golf yesterday and then returning home to spend another four hours enjoying the arrival of cooler weather while working out in my yard.  With that in mind, it wasn’t a problem talking myself into driving to a local bakery for a bear claw and large coffee.  I passed through the neighborhood just as the sun had risen over the tree line and was casting its long horizontal rays over a neighborhood lake.

I had witnessed similar scenes before but this morning, like all mornings, was uniquely different.  So, I turned around, activated my emergency blinkers and parked by the side of the lake.  I was immediately greeted with a chorus of bird songs praising their Creator and celebrating the promise of a new day.  Their unique voices mingled across the placid waters, conjuring memories of entering Notre Dame Cathedral one Sunday morning in Paris and being blown away by the acoustics of the choir. 

And then it became apparent that a gentle breeze was herding white horses across the surface into a natural cove.  They were colliding and rotating heaven ward or back into the other direction away from me.  An occasional white horse made the U-turn in such a fashion that it evaporated into an upward death spiral.   The heat of the sunbeams ultimately dispersed the foggy phantoms as their dance is unrehearsed in shallow depressions and watery low lands.  And reflections of new leaf growth on the surrounding trees added an impressionist canvas to the overall scene.  A pair of Mallard ducks parted the still waters as they swam through the calm waters that remained in their wake.. 

I instinctively retrieved my omnipresent iPhone and began videoing and photographing the scene so that I took away only images in my mind and my trusty Apple vault.  That short glimpse of heaven was a wonderful aperitif before I had even enjoyed my first taste of coffee.     



 

No comments:

Post a Comment