Saturday, January 1, 2022

TWO ROAD WARRIORS


ROAD WARRIORS

The photo above of my grandson flying back to Chicago reminded me of my first business flight ironically from Kansas City to Chicago.  There’s a huge age gap between our two trips and a sign of the times.  He’s strapped in the window seat of a 737 while I was probably sitting in the center seat of a 707.  And this isn’t his first rodeo either as he sips a cup of water and watches a video on an iPad with attached headphones!

My first road trip was memorable after all these years as I remembered a scene that could have been easily scripted for A Christmas Story with a young Larry subbing as Ralphie.  I distinctly remember sitting in the backseat of our four-door family sedan eating a bag of orange Cheetos and drinking a soda while reading a Superman comic book.  Unbeknownst to me, my father had begun to circle the Colorado mountains on our way to visit family in Canon City.  All of a sudden, I looked up from my comic book and realized that the world in my head and stomach was also circling around out of control.  My mother looked back at me and immediately told me to roll down the window and stick my head outside.  Fortunately, I wasn’t strapped in as there were no seatbelts in those days.  I immediately did as I was told and began to coat the outside of the car with an orangey substance that my father had to wash off at the next service station!

My first flight to Chicago could have ended the same way with the assistance of the complimentary barf bags in the seatback, but I wasn’t reading and managed to set my eyes on the stable bulkhead in front of me until the turbulence and motion sickness subsided.  I’ve since flown on countless business and personal trips without up-chucking and honestly earned my Road Warrior badge.  I did have some close calls, however, like the time I had to quickly grab a waste basket when a business associate sitting across from me on the company jet tossed up in it just-in-time!  It seems the grandson will already qualify by this coming new year!

 

No comments:

Post a Comment