Wednesday, November 17, 2021

GO-GETTERS

 

GO GETTERS, High Point, NC

As I was creeping along this morning in the never-ending Starbucks drive-thru, treating myself for a good workout at the gym, I passed this Jimmy John’s Go-Getters Hiring sign.  I amazed myself as my senior brain reached deep within its depths to retrieve an old fifty-year memory.  I was a young Industrial Engineer making one of my first visits to a remote production plant deep within the country.

I had just observed a news report on one of the Fitness Center televisions that there are now ten million job openings in this country that have gone wanting, as many folks are content to still rely on government handouts.  Paying people not to work is just fine until you run out of the working folks’ money and/or you need to stop printing money that devalues what’s already in circulation.

I remembered arriving from Kansas City at quitting time and was amazed at the line of cars that was picking up the mostly female workers.  It was reminiscent of the vehicle lines that gather at the end of a school day.  I incredulously asked the manager what was going on?  He matter-of-factly said “Why, all of these guys are Go-Getters.”  He could see that I didn’t get it, so he explained it in simple terms for me.  “Well, you see, right now most of these guys have probably spent a good part of their day deer hunting.  And they drop off their women at the beginning of the shift and then “go get ‘er” in the afternoon!” 

I don’t think these are the kind of Go-Getters that Jimmy John’s has in mind unless they’re in the drive-thru getting a sandwich.


No comments:

Post a Comment