Monday, October 11, 2021

MONDAY MORNING DRIVE BY

Office Park, Greensboro, NC

 I like to go for a short drive after working out at the fitness center.  Sometimes I’ll swing through Starbucks for a drink and other times I’m just in the mood for a drive if the weather is accommodating.  The weather was ideal this morning as I left the building, so I simply headed to a nearby business park which has a pleasant wooded drive through.

I’ve seemingly made that drive to work early on a Monday morning at least one gazillion times.  Some mornings my mind was on autopilot and many others it was focused on the goals for the day.  There were a few mornings that I simply forced myself to make the drive since the agenda for the day was distasteful.  Not every day in the life of a human being is a pearl, but you suit up for all of them and it’s bearable if the majority can be considered productive, adventurous and in relationship with coworkers that you enjoy being involved with in a shared goal that has a good outcome.

I remember driving to the office on those difficult days and looking forward to the day that was still too many years in the future when I would no longer have to turn into the parking lot.  Of course, those were character building days that challenged our ability to “keep your head while all about you were losing theirs”, to quote Kipling.  So, now that I’ve been blessed to reach that seemingly unreachable brass ring of retirement, a drive through a pleasant business park with no intention of stopping has to be another one of those sweet perks.  And a quick flash prayer is uttered for a great workday for all the folks inside the buildings that have left their parked vehicles outside.

It’s the reward of a Monday morning drive by that is exchanged for our prime days in the sun and the rigors of battle in the trenches.   

No comments:

Post a Comment