Thursday, September 9, 2021

FOUND MONEY

Lost Money


I ran across a Facebook post this week that had a photo of this wad of bills laying on the ground with a caption that asked “If you found this money in the lawn of a church, what would you do with it?”  Many people commented on the challenge and a few said they would take it inside, but most comments were like these below:

“I would pray, Lord I'm going to throw this money up in the air, you take what you want and then drop down anything you want me to have! Then do it.  Amen.”

“Pay tithing with 10% and donate the rest to the "Save Alby from Destitution Fund” . . . problem solved!”

 The challenge rang up a memory from many years ago after a professional baseball game in Kansas City at the old stadium.  I had been given five tickets to the Athletics game in a choice location. So, my wife Karen and I decided to ask her mother and two nuns she taught school with in the area. We were all big baseball fans, but chose to leave during the seventh inning stretch to beat the sellout crowd traffic leaving after the game was over. 

 As we walked out into the outer boundary of the dark gravel parking lot, I glanced down at the ground and noticed something that looked oddly out of place.  I bent over for a closer look and realized it was a wad of bills laying out in the middle of nowhere.  I picked it up and as I rose, I found myself looking directly into the smiling face of one of the nuns.  Without even giving it a second thought, I handed her the wad and told her to use it to do something for the school children.  She didn’t think twice as she retrieved the money from my grasp.

We called the stadium the next day and no lost bills had been reported, so it went to a good cause.  I’ve always wondered where the bills came from and just how much was there.  That old ballpark was located in a tough part of the city and I had lost a set of hubcaps there earlier.  The experience became even more weird for me after I watched the movie thriller, No Country for Old Men.  There may have been a hit man on my trail!

 

No comments:

Post a Comment