Saturday, April 10, 2021

SINGLE-TASKING

Support Group

I learned early on that one of the keys to surviving in a very competitive business world is to master and practice multi-tasking.  And to remain flexible enough to also change directions on a dime when the situation demanded a change in priorities.  But now that I’ve entered the golden years, I’ve determined that a focus on single-tasking is best!

Probably the single biggest lie most seniors tell themselves is that “I don’t need to write down a grocery list.”  Then of course, if we don’t take a list to the store, we will inevitably arrive home and remember too late that the main ingredient in the recipe we were going to fix for dinner is not in the bag.  And if someone asks what I did over the weekend, the best response is “What did you hear?”

The classic situation that confirms your senior status is when you start walking into rooms and stopping dead in your tracks to decide why you are here.  Thankfully the one exception to this is when you’re standing in the bathroom.

And then in this digital world, practically all means of communication and business are executed on the internet.  EVERYONE in the universe wants to know your password for their site!  I’ve finally resorted to another digital device named the Password Safe where my eight hundred passwords are safe and within reach as long as I have the Password Safe close at hand and I can remember the password to open the Password Safe!

My doctor’s office knows my state of mind the best, which is why they charge my credit card the minute I sign in for a visit, so that I don’t forget to pay them on my way out.  But in spite of it all, growing older is a blessing that is denied to many, as long as we transition peacefully to single-tasking.  And there are positives to being a senior, like hiding our own Easter eggs and planning our own surprise parties! 


No comments:

Post a Comment