Friday, March 8, 2019

DON’T LET THE OLD MAN IN


Working Out, High Point, NC

I was driving to the gym this morning with a country music station playing in the windmill of my mind when one of those “gotcha” songs permeated my foggy brain and I snapped to attention!  The relatable lyrics stayed on replay throughout my workout, so I walked back into the locker room and retrieved my iPhone and went back out to one of my regular machines.  A young woman had just finished nearby so I asked her for the favor of taking the accompanying photo.  I explained that I write a blog and was certain that I could work with a song I had just heard titled “Don’t let the old man in”.  Since she had just witnessed me sweating in the gym, I got a knowing smile and she graciously took the photo.

When I got home and googled the song title, I ran across the genesis of the lyrics.  It seems Toby Keith recently found inspiration from a casual conversation with Clint Eastwood on the golf course in California.  Keith asked the 88-year-old actor “What keeps you going?” and he replied “I get up every day and don’t let the old man in”.  After downloading the song on iTunes, the lyrics must ring true for all of us seniors playing in the last quarter of an average lifetime.  We have the choice of believing we’re a hostage of the unseen and uninvited but inevitable aging process, or we can work on being almost as young as always, understanding there are some very real health issues that can be a challenge.
 
Toby sings “can’t leave it up to him, he’s knocking on my door.  Ask yourself how old would you be if you didn’t know the day you were born?  When he rides up on his horse and you feel that cold winter wind, look out your window and smile.  Don’t let the old man in.”

Yeah, old age ain’t for sissies, but it’s a gift that’s denied to many.  So, “get up and go outside”!  Celebrate all the full moons that you’ve experienced on a cold winter’s night as calling wild geese fly by.  And “toast each sundown with wine.  Don’t let the old man in.”

No comments:

Post a Comment