Saturday, May 14, 2011

WIND WOMAN


Wind Woman, Oklahoma City, OK

I purchased this sculpture years ago on a trip into Oklahoma from Kansas. It’s not something that I would normally acquire, but somehow the reverence of this image caught my imagination. As I recall, it’s carved out of alabaster stone and the artist signed the base as A. ChaddLaone ’89. Even though the medium used was stone, the Indian woman’s hair and robe gracefully personify the flowing wind. She wears a sacred turquoise necklace around her neck with a carved shell chain. Ironically, as I stepped outside to photograph an image of this mesmerizing figure, storm clouds were beginning to reorganize as the sun was setting in the west. The background scene was a perfect setting for such a revered and noble persona of the south wind as it began to stir and move over the earth and among the trees.

No comments:

Post a Comment